Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Birth Story

I know it has been almost two weeks, but I thought I would share Blayne's birth story.
My doctor scheduled for me to be induced on Wednesday the 14th at 5:00 am. My mom came up on Tuesday afternoon to help get everything together and to keep me entertained. Ha!

We checked in at 5 o'clock and they immediately started my iv, and by 6 they began the pitocin. By that time I was between a 3 and 4. My doctor broke my water at 7. Thats when the REAL contractions began. When my nurse came in at 8:15 she could tell that I was close to needing the epideral. So by 8:45 I had my epideral and I felt GREAT! Probably the most comfortable I have been in a long time. I felt like I was having a story book labor and delivery. Things progressed quickly and by 1:45 I was ready to push.

This is where the story book delivery takes a slight turn. When I began pushing the pressure was pretty intense, but I kept thinking that it had to be over soon. And my precious baby would be in my arms. After pushing for a hour and half my doctor finally came in. He wasn't alone though. He had the vacuum. But by that point I really didn't care I just wanted to see my little girl. With lots of help from my nurses, doctor, Brad and my mom, Blayne was born at 3:35. She was sunnyside up and that is why it was so difficult for her to come out.

When they put her on my chest she was the most beautiful thing I had ever scene, but she was not making any noises. They took her from me to do their normal procedure. Nurses and doctors must have special codes to make you feel like everything is okay. I couldn't hear her cry but they never acted like anything was wrong. Not long after they took her from me they said that they were going to take her to the nursery to give her a little oxygen. This made me nervous, but at this time I had no control over my body and things began to get fuzzy. My blood pressure dropped to 83/27. Scary, but all I could think about was seeing my baby girl. I lost alot of blood.

The nurses came in and told Brad that he could go visit Blayne in the NICU. She was being treated for low blood pressure. The cord was wrapped around her neck when she was born. I finally got to go see her at 6:30. It was the longest 3 hours in my life. When I went in the NICU I just want to see her and make sure that she was going to be okay. It was so good to see her, but so sad to see that she had to be in the NICU. It wasn't until 9:30 that I got to hold her. She had to stay in the NICU until 6 the next day.
We were so thrilled to have our baby girl in our room with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment